The #No2H8 Campaign is seeking to raise awareness of the increasing prevalence of hate crime in the UK. Hate crime in the UK manifests itself in many forms and we believe that the #No2H8 campaign can be a catalyst to eradicating Islamophobic, Anti-Semitic, Mysoginistic, Homophobic and any other form of abuse that exists in our society.
Faith Matters and Tell Mama recently released their Annual Report for 2016. Here are the key findings:
– 1,223 reports of street-based and online anti-Muslim incidents to Tell MAMA in 2016
– 47% increase in street-based hate crime.
– 56% of victims were female.
These harrowing statistics are commensurate with recently released Home Office data, that found;
– 80,393 hate crimes were recorded by the police in the years 2016/17.
– Between 2015/2016 and 2016/2017, there was a 29% increase in recorded hate crimes in the UK. This represented an increase of 17,875
These were broken down as follows;
– 62,685 (78%) were race hate crimes;
– 9,157 (11%) were sexual orientation hate crimes;
– 5,949 (7%) were religious hate crimes;
– 5,558 (7%) were disability hate crimes; and
– 1,248 (2%) were transgender hate crimes
I’m joining Faith Matters and Tell MAMA in saying #No2H8